Monday, December 26, 2005

Removing the Keel:

May 31
We’ve been doing loads of research on the Internet regarding bottom paint, gelcoat and general restoration. We were hoping to save the gelcoat but the crazing is too widespread and it seems to be very thin in places so I think we are settled on painting the whole boat.

We are lucky to be endowed with a very well stocked garage, courtesy Corey’s dad Steve. We have air tools, power tools, hand tools, and loads of supplies. A fabulous person we met in France, another Steve, owns a large marina and has also provided us with great advice and the offer of a motor. We are going to plan a trip down to California to see him and visit a fabulous rigger Jason Winkle, whom we also met in France. We want to suck information out of him too.

Since the keel is steel, we found where it meets the hull with a magnet and ground through the glass there in preparation for dropping the keel. Then we removed the keel bolts, which were made of threaded rod and very corroded. When the bolts were out we hoisted the boat so the keel was a couple inches off the ground and gave the keel a good solid thump with a block of wood and a ten-pound sledgehammer. It groaned and then dropped to the ground with a nice thump. We carefully tipped the keel onto a little dolly and rolled it outside.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, the Columbia 22 is an fantastic boat, which I've sailed every weekend for 3 years ... I routinely sail mine in 20 to 40 mph winds. However, I've got the same problem, rusted keel bolts.

Could you elaborate on how the bolts were connected to the keel?

Thanks B Brunson

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what material did you use for the keel bolts when you replaced them? I'm redoing mine now on my Columbia 22, and it has been interesting to say the least~working in a marina yard outside in Everett WA.

I plan on using high tensile plated threaded rod and nuts with lots of sealant

Thanks Colin

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya i'm for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me. car insurance quote - car insurance quote - auto insurance companies in maine

Look at my web page ... car insurance quote

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, thіs poѕt is nicе, mу
youngeг ѕister іѕ analyzing these kinds of thіngs,
thus I am going to let knοω hеr.

my web sitе: credit card debt settlement

2:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home